Pages

Monday 19 November 2012

Tips for Revising!




(images from weheartit, edited by me)


As I have mentioned in previous blog posts, it is of the utmost importance that I do well in my exams. I'm sure I'm not alone and there are loads of people in college who need to do well at A Level or GCSE for many different reasons so here are some of my tips that I think have helped/are helping me and I think could be beneficial to you. This is what works for me, it might not work for you.

Have a revision timetable. This is so so important because sometimes I get lost and revise the same thing over again when I should be studying a variety. For example, I study Law. In January, my exams will be on arrest, bail, sentencing etc. I need to know every detail about them so well that I'm able to quote them in my sleep so on my timetable, instead of just writing Law, I write 'Bail'. This allows me to focus on that specific part of Law until I know it well enough move on. Hope that made sense?

Have one thing out at a time. Try not to have all coursework, notes, revision guides, files of every subject you're doing laid out in front of you because it could be really overwhelming.

Figure of what type of learner you are. Some people are visual learners who learn through reading or pictures, then read-write learners who learn through reading and writing, others are auditory who learn through listening and saying, and lastly kinesthetic who learn through doing things and moving around. This can really help to boost your grades. I'm a read-write learner; I find it easier to remember things when I write them down.

Have something to look forward to. I know that on a Monday when I've finished revising, I've got Eastenders to watch and I'll curl up on my couch eating strawberry laces!
Another example is that on Wednesdays, I finish college at 1pm instead of 4pm so sometimes I'll go to the library then look forward to when I go to the cinema later in the evening. Orange Wednesdays ..because times are getting hard. This can really motivate you to just give it your all at that moment and then chill after.

Be realistic. Don't say you're going to revise for 4 hours straight because it's really unlikely that you will be able to concentrate for that amount of time.

Plan ahead. If you know you have a Saturday job and you work from 10am to 7pm, you're very unlikely to revise that day so it's better to know when you can and can't revise.

Take breaks in between. The brain needs time to chill itself.  After a long while, you might not take things in so it's good to just chill for a 15 minutes, not 3 hours and then fall asleep..story of my life! 

Have fun. Don't revise every single night or every single moment you have free. At least have one night where you don't do any revision or you don't revise for the amount of time you normally do.

Pray. It's God who has helped me through my previous exams and He's the one who I know will help me through the January ones. Simple as.

Do you have any more revision tips? I'd love to know them.
Now I'm going to practise what I preach and go and revise!
Wish you all the best with your exams.




Thanks for reading!
Tosin xo


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!